It’s the ho ho HOLIDAYS! That special time of year where we get fancy or don ugly sweaters for parties and simply indulge. It’s the off season for most of us and we’re letting that I DON’T GIVE A *&^% flag fly! Please keep in mind that January and the 2016 season are around the corner. Things that we cannot avoid – paying taxes, putting away laundry and that first practice back where we question every drink, piece of pie and extra scoop of mashed potatoes that we consumed during the off season.
I’m here to have a conversation with you about making that first 2016 practice hurt less. It might still be a kick in the pants – don’t get me wrong. We’re just going to talk about how to make it suck less ☺
What I need you to do: write down 3 goals for next season AND follow it up with why is it important to you. You are reading this for a reason or maybe you’re just hoping that I plop in a picture of Waffles. Regardless – either we are getting better or worse at whatever it is that is on your mind right now. If there is no ‘why is this important to me?’ then doing the do and following up on your goals is not going to happen. THERE! I SAID IT! If you do not focus on your ‘why’ – then it’s probably not going to happen. I still love you and everything is still going to be okay.
Some examples: Do you want to pass assessments? Do you want to make the Charter? Do you want to make the 14 person roster? Do you want to be skating every other jam? Do you want to be that key or go to player?
“If we focus on our ‘why’ then we can get through these next few weeks and set ourselves up for a kickass 2016 season.”
You’re busy. I get it so this post is set up with the highlights now and if you want to read more – cool! If not – cool!
- Set up your gut in the morning and be nice to it. Take out the bread, bagels, muffins, milk, boxed cereal and coffee. ZOMG YES I SAID TAKE OUT COFFEE. When you wake up – make and drink an organic detox or digestion aide hot tea. For breakfast – eat a couple of free range no hormone eggs or drink a vegan meal replacement protein shake. Why vegan? I’ll explain that later. Need that boost of energy? Organic tea
- Drink 1 gallon of water per day or come close to that amount. Unless you’re at that holiday party – water. That is what you are drinking throughout the day. No soda, no juice, no zero calorie something from a can, no energy drinks. Good old fashioned high quality H20.
- Plan your mid morning and mid afternoon snacks. Almonds, green apples, celery sticks with almond butter or hummus with raw vegetables. Bringing it back to elementary school here people. SNACK TIME IS A MUST.
- Lunch/dinner. Since I am assuming you are destroying your soul once or twice per week for holiday gatherings – we’re getting aggressive with our vegetable intake. 85% of your plate needs to be vegetables. 2 green and 1 some other color (no corn!). Example: kale, broccoli and mushrooms. 10% lean protein like organic chicken, wild caught salmon, organic turkey, legumes or lentils (no soy!). 5% a good fat like avocado or cook the food in coconut oil.
- ZOMG B-TRAIN WHERE ARE MY COMPLEX CARBS? Remember that it’s the holidays? All of your carbs, sugar and terrible decisions are happening there.
- Unless you are at a party – ZERO alcoholic beverages. If you are not at party – no drinking at home. Will your alcohol tolerance go down? Probably and I’m also saving you some $$ because it’ll take you less dranks to get white girl wasted.
Still with me? Cool.
For the time that you are not at a holiday party – here is what I am focusing on for your gut health and mental sanity. We’re taking out foods that have common allergens and non-healthy ingredients like wheat/gluten, dairy, refined sugar, alcohol, soy and corn. We’re replacing those things with things like brown rice, quinoa, sweet potatoes, almond milk, rice milk, locally grown fruits & veggies, free range grass fed hormone free meats. No fast food either. Remember! We’re eating and drinking the caloric requirement for a small country at one holiday party.
For reals though and I roll my eyes at these memes too: Abs are made in the kitchen. What you put into it is what you get out of it AND we cannot outwork a shitty diet. Sorry pals. Our body is a machine so what we use for fuel with help or hinder performance.
I do not count calories, protein, macros, weigh my food nor look at a scale. I get a little psychotic crazy about it. I know myself and if counting something helps you stay the course and focus on your why – do it. Counting doesn’t help me. It makes me torture myself for no reason.
Pooping! We’re going to talk about it! If you’re not pooping at least once per day, eat more carrots, beets, broccoli and spinach. Our liver, kidneys, pancreas and intestines need to be functioning and ready to take on that aggressive holiday beating. I could have just said digestive system though I need you to think about each piece of the system that we are building and then destroying. The nutrients will be absorbed into our bodies and the garbage needs to get out of our system.
Wait. B-Train – you said something about only vegan shakes? Yes. Yes I did. We’re removing common allergens from our system this month. Most shakes are either soy or whey. There is GMO free soy out there and if the canister or bag does not say GMO free nor if the company customer service can confirm/deny – I don’t trust it. Whey is dairy or a milk bi product. Unless it says GMO free, no hormones or it comes from happy cows – I don’t trust it. I use Arbonne (disclaimer I sell it!) vegan protein shakes and there are a handful of rad vegan brands out there! Vega, MRM, Sun Warrior and Nutrafusion.
Pals. Coffee is super acidic. If we drink too much of it, it can tear through our guts, not let us get a good nights sleep and can affect how we deal with stress. Plus – what else are you putting into that coffee? Are you drinking it black or is there milk, soy milk, coffee mate or some other bi product lurking in there? Trust me – when I did our 30 days to healthy living, I was a flipping nutcase because it was more about the habit and ritual of coffee. I would make my morning latte (non GMO milk!) and take Waffles on a walk. I had to change the time that I walked Waffles and bring along the detox because I missed that latte.
Long story longer. I’m trying to keep your body as alkaline as possible so that it can process the holiday party beating and set you up with some good habits for next season. A lot can happen in 30 days if you want it to! It is not easy and sometimes you want to punch your own self in the face. I promise you that if you take it one day at a time, it will get better!
Happy Holidays! Come hit me up with any questions/comments you have over at my Facebook Page